The Advances in Skeletal Muscle Biology Conference is committed to solutions that address the environmental, social and economic risks posed by climate impact. We have made a “green” commitment and made the following adaptions to do our part for a brighter tomorrow. We would like to specifically acknowledge supplemental funding to support these efforts provided by the Company of Biologists.
- Limited Paper Program Printing. The program will be provided electronically. A limited number of programs will be available by request and will be bound with paper tape to ensure that the printed version is 100% recyclable.
- Electronic Dissemination of Conference Material. Flashdrives eliminated. All other conference materials, including abstract books, will only be available electronically through dropbox or a QR code.
- Use of Biodegradable and Recyclable Materials. Use of biodegradable and certified compostable disposable cups, plasticware, and name tags.
- Clear waste management system with separate bins for recycling will be available throughout the conference venue.
- Recycling of conference posters offered to attendees at the end of the conference.
- Use of reusable cloth table covers, changed only when necessary (water saving).
- “Boxed lunches” will be “deconstructed” to reduce paper waste.
- Reusable water bottles. Attendees are encouraged to bring their own reusable water bottles. A limited number of recyclable, BPA fee, and biodegradable bottles will be available as needed.
- Efforts to reduce carbon emissions. Conference venue within walking distance to Hotels and other venues (The Swamp); car-pooling of speakers and attendees will be facilitated and encouraged.
- The venue site is a LEED certified building. LEED certified buildings save money, improve efficiency, lower carbon emissions and create healthier places for people.
- Use of Local Vendors. Local vendors are utilized to reduce shipping-associated waste and to support the local community.
- Efforts to Facilitate Diversity and Inclusion of Early Career Investigators. Consideration of gender and demographics in program planning including incorporating early-stage investigators and trainees.
- Conference is organized based on a breakeven cost structure. Discounted rates provided to trainees to facilitate inclusion.
- Poster awards provided to exceptional trainees to help off-set travel expenses.
- Grants writing workshop is open to the public.
We received Certified Green Level meeting status and will use this certification as an opportunity to spread the word about “greener” meetings (check out Sustainable UF for more information). Thank you for reading this list, you have already helped our efforts!